Monday, July 23, 2007

Monday Night Update

Long day... Elaine is feeling very uncomfortable today. It breaks my heart to see her laying there with nothing I can do for her. She feels discomfort from the screws in the halo, her leg, and her hip and deep breaths hurt her ribs. Plus, she is really tired of just laying there. She tells us all of this, and then squeezes your hand and says "I guess I just gotta make the best of it." It amazes me the strength that she has. It's amazing how you look at her laying in the bed with such a long battle ahead of her and she still says "make the best of it." Melissa and I were talking about how thankful we are that we are looking at a recovery and not a funeral. We thank God that this was a life changing accident and not a life ending. I am very thankful but it's tough to see her like she is. I think what gives me strength is her strength and how she seems so calm and collective. Anyone who checks this blog obviously knows how wonderful a woman Elaine Partin is, but until you see her now, you've only begun to realize how amazing she really is.

The doctors are still keeping her in acute care for another night. They have her on an IV medication to regulate her heartbeat. Her heart would speed up and they had to regulate it. They are going to switch from the IV to an oral medication tomorrow morning. Once they switch her to an oral medication for her heart rate they can hopefully switch her to a private room. They also hope that they can remove the tube from her lung tomorrow morning. There hasn't been any drainage from her lung today and her oxygen levels are up, so that is really good news.

The therapist came by today and put an ankle stretch on her right ankle. It is like a stiff flip flop that keeps her foot flat. A lot of times, the Achilles tendon will tighten and when you try to walk after recovery it makes it difficult. The ankle stretch keeps the tendon stretched out to make sure her foot will stay flat.

As soon as I know what room she will be in I will let everyone know. I am sure Elaine would love to see some new faces over this next week as she awaits pelvic surgery.

Thanks again for all the prayers, thoughts, and calls. Keep 'em coming...

4 comments:

Kathy Stuart said...

To all the family,
I recently had facial surgery and feel some discomfort tonight...until I read your blog. I have nothing to complain about.My prayers and thoughts and are with you.
Kathy Stuart

Cheryl Traylor said...

We at Trinity High School, Archdale United Methodist Church, and ADK are praying for all of you. A male teacher at THS that does not know Elaine asked if he could mow your lawn. Isn't that a great idea? His family has been in a similar situation, but his aunt and cousin died in a wreck and his uncle and other cousin had a long recovery. He is very sincere and will help if you let him.
We will see you soon and will bring anything you need. Give my love to Elaine.
Cheryl Traylor

Ms. Rasmussen said...

Elaine and family,
Just want to add my prayers and thoughts to the large list of folks hoping for your speedy recovery. I'm so sorry you've had to have this experience.

To Elaine's family, please let us know on the blog the basics of what you need help with. I know logistically a long term hospitalisation can be overwhelming, but if we can help with those little things, like Cheryl Traylor's offer of lawn mowing, food prep, going by and sitting with Elaine to help pass the boring/stressful time she has ahead of her, whatever, please let us know.

We love you Elaine!
Diana Rasmussen

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Partin,
i hope ou feel much better. i wasn't in any of your classes but i did come to the Fellowships of Christian Students. my favorite meeting was when the guy that walked accross america and the dancers came the same day (a few of them were Luke Van Ausdall and Alec Neal)
feel better!
LBM